RESTRAINED DESIGN - A WELL EDITED HOME!

Living room with restaind wood floor and a high back bench with a white cushions, a marble fireplace and dueling sofas

When I typed the word "restrained" into my search engine (I am a Google girl all the way), here's what came up as far as a definition:

re-strained
Adjective:
1. Characterized by reserve or moderation; unemotional or dispassionate.
2. (of color, clothes, decoration, etc.) Understated and subtle; not excessively showy or ornate.

Merriam-Webster defines the word "restrained" as "not excessive or extravagant"

Today I bring you a post directly from the pages of this month's Architectural Digest.  A home conceived by renowned interior designer Darryl Carter and architect Donald Loccoco.  I like this house.  Its decor is elegant, simple classic and most of all restrained.

To me "restrained" in decor means well edited.

This home is in the suburbs of Washington D.C.  It would make a very comfortable but stylish family home. Good architectural bones, well curated combination antique and new furniture, a neutral palette...and tah dah.

I'm loving the work of Darryl Carter...I'm not the only one though...his work is always noteworthy it seems! He could be my next design crush...let's see we have Jonathan Adler, Casamidy and now Darryl Carter on the crush list. How many design crushes can one girl have? Anyone? Anyone?

Anyhooo...take a peek at this home.

Dining room with restained wood floor and table, matching chandeliers, white cabinets and panned windows

white kitchen with stainless appliances and restained wood flooring

Home Office/Library with wood panelling, a fireplace, dark wood desk, accent table and coffee table, and a neutral sofa with matching armchairs

Master bedroom with four poster bed, foot stool, with a floor length curtain to separate an arm chair and small desk from the rest of the room

What do you think? Like or dislike? Too restrained or just right? Any ideas here you might want in your home?

Happy Friday!

xo
Coco

P.S. I am on a plane right now. It is Thursday night actually. Am in business class (thank goodness). Am heading to New York to show the COCOCOZY home furnishings collection for the fourth time at the New York International Gift Fair. I like the fair...the whole thing - the set up (tiring but fun), the show (time for me to chitter chatter endlessly with people...in my element), and the dismantle (a little sad to see the COCOCOZY booth display go down but it is so cool to watch an entire village of mini showrooms shut down and pack up in a matter of hours). Me and the team (I have a team helping me this time) will set up tomorrow and hopefully just a little bit on Saturday and then on Sunday the doors of the textiles division at the Javits Center open and then COCOCOZY is at market on show! I can't wait.

P.P.S. Am a little tired. Feel a cold coming on. Zicam where are you? Vitamin C...I need you. :-)

P.P.P.S. Friend BN called me today...hadn't talked to him in awhile. He is like an older brother type. :-) We had a good brainstorming session on the COCOCOZY business!

P.P.P.P.S. Had a great dinner the other night before with JO and CS. We went to one of my favorite restaurants in Venice Beach...Gjelina. Nice evening.

P.P.P.P.P.S. Hope you have fun things planned for this weekend! xo


0 comments:

Post a Comment